Sunday, February 3, 2013

Of Regrets and Resolutions

In October 2012, President Deiter F. Uchdorf counseled us:
"To avoid some of the deepest regrets of life, it would be wise to make some resolutions today. Therefore, let us:
  • Resolve to spend more time with those we love.
  • Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be.
  • Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances."

Elder Carr and Elder Wagner
It is our great hope that each missionary will serve a mission to his or her fullest capacity, that each will have no regrets. Leaving home to devote oneself wholeheartedly to the work of inviting others to come to Christ and then leaving the mission with no regrets: that is one of President Wilkey's desires for each missionary.  At each parting, we are filled with gratitude for those missionaries who depart with no regrets.  We love each one!

Elder Smith looks at memories of outgoing
missionaries, Elders Tanner and Anderson

Choose your own caption:
"Be not weary in well doing"(Galatians 1:9)
"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings,
that publisheth peace" (Mosiah 12:21)
"My life is like my shoes--to be worn out in service."Spencer W. Kimball

In real time, this is an example of a missionary who is "wearing out his shoes in service."

"How has obedience helped this week? On exchange it was cold. Real cold. My shoes have holes in them. My feet got wet. wet feet in -15 degree weather is a big problem. I really did not want to head in to change my shoes, for it would have been time wasted, and I've knelt and promised God not to waste a minute of this last transfer. So we kept going. we found 2 potential families. When I got back and looked at my toes I realized that a couple were frozen I couldn't really move them, but they eventually thawed out. and they are in perfect working order. I've even had the doctor check them out. So don't worry about the toes, but see the blessing of the obedience."

top row: Elders Kennedy Kinyon, Lewis and Bridge
bottom row: Elders Slater, Tanner
front: Elder Anderson
Golden truths expressed by this groups of missionaries?
On my mission I learned this golden truth that will change my life forever:
-I have felt our Heavenly Fathers love for each of his children.
-I am committed to share the gospel of Jesus Christ the rest of my life.
-I now know the extent of the Atonement of Jesus Christ
-I now know personally the love of the Savior Jesus Christ
-I can be filled with the love of Jesus Christ so that I can love and serve others.
-Our Heavenly Father is real. He hears and answers prayer.
-I know that I am weak but through the Savior I am strong. Through His grace,I can do miracles. I can be an instrument in His hands.

No comments: