Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Variety and Very Humbling Days

>
Missionaries come in as many varieties as these mushrooms we saw on a hike in western Vermont. (We can go on a walk in the woods within minutes of most areas.) With so much variety comes an equally great variety of personalities and problems. After having read our blog, someone commented that it appeared that all was well with nary a bad day nor a discouraging moment. Fortunately hindsight and journal reports both generally capitalize on the sunny days and smooth sailing. The sail boat in Casco Bay floats calmly on a gorgeous autumn day but just as certainly there will come mighty winds and torrents of rain. More characteristic of New England is rain and clouds. We attest to the rain and clouds that come. Hardly a day goes by that we are not reminded of our dependence on God or of our human frailties; we can attest certainly of the truth of Ether 12:27: “If men [mission president and wife] come unto me [Jesus Christ] I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”

No comments: